Which Court Can Try Cases Of Bounced/Dud Cheque In Nigeria ?
Posted: 18/Oct/2018

DAILY LAW TIPS by Onyekachi Umah Esq Tip 208

“Which Court Can Try Cases Of Bounced/Dud Cheque In Nigeria ?”.

It is only a High Court of any of the 36 States in Nigeria and the High Court of The Federal Capital Territory that can entertain and try cases of dud/bounced cheque brought pursuant to Dishonoured Cheques (Offences) Act. Hence, no Customary Court, Area Court, Magistrate Court or Federal High Court has jurisdiction to handles such cases.
However, if an offence of issuance of Bounced/Dud cheque must be brought under any other court apart from a High Court, then such case must be charged under a different legislation other than the Dishonoured Cheque(Offences) Act.

My authorities are sections 1 and 2 of the Dishonoured Cheques (Offences) Act, 1977.


NOTE: Sharing or modifying or publishing this publication without giving credit to Onyekachi Umah, Esq. and “LearnNigerianLaws.com” is a criminal breach of copyright and will be prosecuted. Please share this publication till it gets to those that need it most. Save a Nigerian today!

To receive our Daily Law Tips for free follow our Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube via “@LearnNigerianLaws”.
This is the writer’s view not a legal advice and does not create any form of relationship. You may reach the writer for more information.

By Unini Chioma
Thenigerialawyer News